-- Hermann Municipal Court --

This amazing building was constructed with funds left in Charles D. Eitzen’s will and is recognized to be the only courthouse in America built entirely from private funding.
view more

-- St Paul of Hermann, Missouri --

The cornerstone for the church building was laid at the present location in December of 1844 and construction was completed in 1846. As the congregation grew in numbers, so did the church building. In 1893, the original church building was enlarged. New windows, a bell tower, and a steeple were added at a cost of $1,838. The second expansion was in 1907.
view more

-- Hermann’s Historical Cemetery --

The Hermann City Cemetery is a historic landmark for the city of Hermann. The gravestones and gravesites are reminders to the community of some of the great people that have made Hermann Missouri such a beautiful town and rich with history. The Brush and Palette Club are currently seeking help from the community to preserve what time is quickly eroding.
view more

-- St. George Catholic Church --

Although they had hoped to build a church as early as 1840, construction on the stone church did not begin until 1845. Work was completed in 1850, one year after the arrival of the first duly appointed pastor.
view more
s

-- Historic Hermann Museum --

Located in the 1871 German School Building, the Historic Hermann Museum is home to an extraordinary collection of treasures from Hermann's past.
view more

-- Hermann der Cherusker --

he society had almost utopian goals of a "heart of German-America" where it could perpetuate traditional German culture and establish a self-supporting colony built around farming, commerce, and industry. The town is named after Hermann der Cherusker, a Germanic leader who defeated the Romans in the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in the year 9 AD. In 2009, Hermann celebrated the 2000th anniversary of the battle, in which the Germanic warrior Hermann defeated three Roman legions. A bronze statue of the city's namesake was dedicated in the Hermann Park.
view more

-- Downtown Hermann --

The city is the commercial center of the Hermann American Viticultural Area, whose seven wineries produce about one-third of the state's wine. Designated in 1983, it is one of the first federally recognized American Viticultural Areas. The designation recognized the renaissance of an area of vineyards and wineries established by German immigrants during the mid-19th century.
view more

The little Germany on the Missouri

A place to share with your loved ones

The city was founded by the Deutsche Ansiedlungs-Gesellschaft zu Pennsylvania (German Settlement Society of Philadelphia) in the 1830s. It was promoted by the enthusiasm of Gottfried Duden, who wrote about the area in his Bericht über eine Reise nach den westlichen Staaten Nord Amerikas (Report of a Journey to the Western States of Northern America). An early part of settlers was led by George Bayerand Edward Hermann, who bought the land and is considered by many to be the founder of the town. The town was platted after the society sold shares in the 11,300 acres (4,600 ha) of Gasconade Rivervalley land it had purchased.

The society had almost utopian goals of a "heart of German-America" where it could perpetuatetraditional German culture and establish a self-supporting colony built around farming, commerce, and industry. The town is named after Hermann der Cherusker, a Germanic leader who defeated the Romans in the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in the year 9. In 2009, the City of Hermann celebrated the 2000th anniversary of the battle, in which the Germanic warrior Hermann defeated three Roman legionsand changed the course of history. A bronze statue of the city's namesake was dedicated, and has been standing since September 2009 in the Hermann Park.

In the 1960s people began to rebuild the wine industry in the Hermann area. The vineyards and wineries contribute both to the agricultural and heritage tourism economies, with wine tastings and visits related to the wineries increasingly popular.

The Hermann area is known for wineries: Stone Hill Winery, the largest winemaking business in the state, and Hermannhof Winery are in the town. Two miles south of town off Missouri Highway 100 West is Adam Puchta Winery, the oldest continuously family-owned winery in the nation, under direct family ownership since 1855. Bias Vineyards is less than eight miles (13 km) east near Berger on Missouri Highway 100. Also included in the Hermann AVA are Oakglenn Vineyards and Winery, 2½ miles east of Hermann; Bommarito Estate Almond Tree Winery; and Röbller Vineyards and Winery near New Haven.

The Katy Trail, a 225-mile (362 km)-long bike path, passes through McKittrick, a town on the northern side of the Missouri River across from Hermann.

415 E 1ST STREET, HERMANN MO 65041 | 573-340-5840